Pork Production (Breeding) Technicians (Solsgirth)
Posted on: April 25, 2017
1647778 Ontario Inc. is a 2500 multiplier operation located in the rural area of Solsgirth, Manitoba. We currently have four job openings for Pork Production (Breeding) Technicians (NOC 8252) with at least 3 years experience in the field.
Employment type: Permanent, full time (40h/wk, 4 vacancies)
Business address: 1647778 Ontario Inc., Box 48, Solsgirth, MB, R0J 2B0
Work location: 1647778 Ontario Inc., SW3-18-25 W1, Solsgirth, MB, R0J 2B0
Salary/benefits: $16.80/hour. 10 days paid holidays.
Reporting to the Farm Manager, the Pork Production Technician is responsible for carrying out the day-to-day activities at the hog farm. This position requires the ability to work independently, as well as part of a high productive team to produce specific production goals.
Employees must possess an aptitude for the care and handling of animals, good communication skills and the ability to work as part of a highly productive team. Duties will include the provision of quality care to all pigs housed in the facility, moving, shipping and receiving of the pigs to the facility, treatment of sick pigs and minor maintenance work. Rotational weekend work is required.
- Carry out breeding program to ensure production targets are met
- Co-ordinate daily unit activities for the breeding & gestation unit & organize workers in unit
- Keep Unit Coordinator aware of breeding & gestation activities, progress, problems & requirements
- Identify sows/gilts in heat and cycling for optimum breeding results
- Pregnancy check using ultrasound equipment
- Maintenance of semen lab, equipment & semen fridges – cleanliness, inventory of supplies & medications required
- Carry out feeding routine
- Recognize problems and provide basic assistance; recognize and treat common diseases and disorders reporting concerns
- Interpret labels, handle and administer medications and vaccines
- Provide water for animals and perform routine maintenance on waterers
- Monitor and maintain proper ventilation and temperature using automated control system
- Measuring of back fat using proper equipment
- Ensure the Unit’s biosecurity protocol is followed by all staff and visitors
- Maintenance of unit – ensure that all aspects are completed including but not limited to repairs, garbage disposal, rodent control, check bins & boot cleaning, manure management
- Operate a high pressure washer and ensure cleanliness and sanitation standards for the Unit are met
- Follow safe manure management procedures when cleaning out manure pits
- Ensure accurate records are kept and submitted in a timely fashion to the office (breeding cards)
- Maintain a safe working environment
- Perform general farm duties and any other duties as required
- Completion of post secondary education in pork production would be an asset
- At least three years experience is required to ensure proper handling of breeding stock – gilts, sows and boars
- Experience in the proper and safe collection, processing, handling and preserving of semen from resident boars and imported semen is necessary
- High school graduation certificate or equivalent is essential
- The ability to communicate verbally and written in English is essential
We thank you for your interest in working with us although only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.