1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 3 ½ lb / 1.5 kg
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 Tbsp / 30 mL chili powder
1 tsp / 5 mL ground cumin
⅓ cup / 80 mL tomato paste
1-28 oz / 796 mL can diced tomatoes, undrained
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In large casserole pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate; pour off all but 1 Tbsp fat.
- Add garlic, onion, jalapeno, chili powder and cumin to pot. Cook until onions are softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Return pork and any juices to casserole pot. Heat to boiling.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Cover and bake for 3 ½-4 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- Remove pork to a cutting board; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shred pork, using 2 forks, discarding any fat.
- Skim any fat from sauce. Bring sauce to a boil; boil gently to thicken slightly. Add shredded pork to sauce and heat through.
- Serve in buns or tortillas, sprinkled with cilantro, if desired.