1 cup / 250 mL white rice
2 Tbsp / 30 mL butter, divided
½ tsp / 2 mL curry powder
2 Tbsp / 30 mL EACH dried cranberries, coarsely chopped toasted almonds
¼ tsp / 1 mL salt
4 pork loin centre chops, bone-in, about 1 ½-inch / 3.75 cm thick
2 tsp / 10 mL canola oil
2 medium yellow onions, sliced into thin wedges
8 oz / 250 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Combine with 1 Tbsp / 15 mL butter, curry powder, cranberries, almonds and salt.
- With sharp knife, cut a pocket in the side of each chop.* Open pocket with your fingers. Stuff with ¼ to ⅓-cup rice mixture**. Tie with butcher string or secure with toothpicks. Place on a rack in a shallow pan.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush chops lightly with canola oil. Bake, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat (not stuffing) registers 155°F.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat remaining butter and canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onions. Sauté over medium heat, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms; cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- When chops are done, remove from oven, tent loosely with foil and let rest 5 minutes. Remove butcher string.
- Serve chops topped with onion-mushroom mixture.
* Boneless butterflied loin chops may be substituted for the thick chops
** Keep any remaining stuffing warm and serve with chops.