1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
1 cup / 250 mL thick and spicy pasta sauce
1 cup / 250 mL chopped bell pepper
¼ cup / 50 mL sliced celery
3 Tbsp / 45 mL brown sugar
1 ½ tsp / 7 mL red wine vinegar
1 tsp / 5 mL dried oregano leaves
½ tsp / 2 mL Worcestershire sauce
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
6 crusty buns, sliced
- In large skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add pork, garlic and onion. Thoroughly cook pork mixture until no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces of pork with spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a soft boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste
- Serve over sliced crusty buns.