1 pork loin, centre roast, boneless, about 1½ lb / 0.75 kg, cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
¼ cup / 50 mL light soy sauce
2 Tbsp / 30 mL unseasoned rice vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp / 15 mL grated ginger root
2 Tbsp / 30 mL chopped fresh cilantro
¼ tsp / 1 mL ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
Pinch EACH ground cloves and cayenne pepper
¼ cup / 50 mL EACH sweet & sour barbecue sauce and water
- Place pork cubes in a resealable plastic bag.
- In small bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, cilantro, black pepper, bay leaf, ground cloves and cayenne pepper; pour over pork cubes. Seal bag and marinate in refrigerator, 4-24 hours.
- Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade. Pat pork with paper towels to remove excess marinade.
- Thread pork loosely onto bamboo* or metal skewers; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine barbecue sauce and water.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Grill kabobs 5-6 minutes per side, turning occasionally.
- During the last few minutes of grilling, baste kabobs with sauce, turning a few times until pork is nicely browned.
*Soak bamboo or wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes prior to placing food on skewers to minimize burning.