1 pork shoulder roast, boneless, about 2 lb / 1 kg, cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
¼ cup / 50 mL all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp / 45 mL canola oil
1 cup / 250 mL finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp / 30 mL sweet Hungarian paprika
2 cups / 500 mL sodium-reduced beef broth
1 cup / 250 mL red wine
2 Tbsp / 30 mL red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL caraway seeds
¼ cup / 50 mL tomato paste
1 bay leaf
Salt and ground black pepper
1 ½ cups / 375 mL sour cream
Hot cooked egg noodles for serving
- In shallow bowl, dust pork cubes on all sides with flour.
- In heavy pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cooking until onions are softened.
- Stir in paprika. Add remaining ingredients except sour cream. Cover. Simmer until pork is tender, 1-1 ½ hours.
- Remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream or serve separately.
- Serve goulash over hot cooked egg noodles.