1 pork shoulder roast, boneless, about 1 ½-2 lb / 0.75-1 kg, cut into 1” / 2.5 cm cubes
¼ cup / 50 mL all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp / 30 mL canola oil
½ cup / 125 mL beer
4 carrots, sliced
2 cups / 500 mL chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 rib celery, chopped
6 cups / 1.5 L sodium-reduced beef broth
¾ cup / 175 mL red lentils
1-19 oz / 540 mL can tomatoes, undrained
1 bay leaf
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH salt and ground black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In shallow bowl, dust pork cubes with flour.
- In Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add pork cubes in batches. Brown on all sides, adding oil as required. Remove browned cubes to a clean plate.
- Deglaze pot with beer scraping up brown bits from bottom of pot.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic and celery; sauté 3 minutes.
- Return cubes to Dutch oven. Add broth, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1-1 ½ hours, or until pork is fork tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle stew into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.