1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 3 ½ lb / 1.75 kg
½ cup / 125 mL brown sugar
2 Tbsp / 30 mL coarse salt
1 Tbsp / 15 mL EACH garlic powder and onion powder
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH ground allspice, ground black pepper, chili powder, ground cinnamon, ginger powder and dried thyme leaves
⅓ cup / 80 mL apple juice
In small bowl, thoroughly combine brown sugar, salt and seasonings. Massage pork all over with rub.
Cover and let roast stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat one burner of two-burner barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium or lower, temperature should read 250-300°F.
- Put roast in disposable foil pan and place over unlit burner. Add apple juice.
- Close lid and cook roast over indirect heat (“off” heat side) until meat is fork tender and almost falling apart, about 3 ½ hours. Cover roast with foil if getting too dark.
- Transfer roast to cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Using two forks, pull pork into shreds.
- To serve, pile onto buns top with a dollop of your favourite barbecue sauce.
- Preheat barbecue and follow instructions for rotisserie grilling.
- Add apple juice to foil drip pan. Secure roast on rotisserie rod and cook 3-3 ½ hours over direct, low heat or the heat from the rotisserie burner.