Pork Production Technicians - rural area near Rivers, MB
Posted on: June 29, 2021
Verbruggen Prairie Farms Ltd. is a 1150 sow farrow to wean hog operation located in a rural area near Rivers, Manitoba. We currently have two job openings for Pork Production Technicians (NOC 8252) with at least 1 year experience in the field.
Pork Production Technicians (NOC 8252) - 2 job openings
Employment type: Permanent, full time,40 hours a week (2 vacancies)
Work location: Verbruggen Prairie Farms Ltd., SW 13-14-21 W, RM of Oakview, MB, R0K 1X0
Business address: Verbruggen Prairie Farms Ltd., Box 910, Rivers, MB, R0K 1X0
Salary/benefits: $17.00/h, Group Benefits after 3 months
Reporting to the Farm Manager, the Pork Production Technician is responsible for carrying out the day-to-day activities at the hog farm. This position requires the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team to produce specific production goals.
The Pork Production Technician is expected to be able to demonstrate his/her capability to understand and perform the following technical functions:
• Works with the Farm Manager to achieve and exceed productivity requirements, including but not limited to: Health and Safety, Quality control, Animal Welfare, Maintenance, Ventilation and Bio-Security.
• Works with the Farm Manager to achieve excellent marketing results.
• Formulate, adjust and carry out feeding programs
• Recognize health issues and perform medical treatments in sows and piglets
• Maintain detailed and accurate animal performance records
• Recognize sow becoming in heat and perform artificial insemination
• Perform accurate farrowing duties including but not limited to acute care for sows and newborns, intervene when sow has trouble farrowing or has (history of) still birth
• Being able to read, understand, and act accordingly on computer records
• Weigh and sort pigs for transport
• Perform general farm duties, among others but not limited to (pressure) wash empty rooms and prepping room for animal entry;
• Perform minor maintenance tasks and other duties as assigned.
• Able to communicate in the English language;
• A minimum of one (1) year relevant experience in the field;
• Completion of secondary school;
• Experienced with performing artificial insemination;
• Experienced with all aspects around farrowing;
• Excellent problem solving skills;
• Ability to work in a team, under pressure, handle multiple priorities and complex tasks simultaneously;
• Good work ethic and self-motivated.
• Availability to work rotating weekend shifts.
We thank you for your interest in working with us, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.