1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
½ cup / 125 mL breadcrumbs
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH fennel seeds and red pepper flakes
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH onion powder and salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup / 125 mL freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup / 50 mL sour cream
¼ cup / 50 mL chopped fresh Italian parsley
1-650 mL jar ready-to-use pasta sauce
1 cup / 250 mL shredded mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Hot cooked pasta noodles for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large bowl, gently combine ground pork with fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, onion powder, salt, garlic, grated cheese, egg, sour cream and parsley; do not overmix.
- Form mixture into 2-inch balls and arrange on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in large sauté pan, heat sauce over medium heat.
- Add cooked meatballs to sauce. Simmer 5-10 minutes, occasionally spooning additional sauce over meatballs.
- Sprinkle meatballs with mozzarella cheese. Once cheese has melted, tear basil leaves into small pieces and sprinkle over meatballs.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over your favourite hot cooked pasta noodles.