1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil, plus more for brushing
½ cup / 125 mL chopped yellow onion
½ cup / 125 mL chopped cremini mushrooms
½ cup / 125 mL chopped red bell pepper
5 oz / 150 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups / 500 mL soft bread cubes
½ tsp / 2 mL each salt and ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
¼ tsp / 1 mL EACH ground sage and garlic powder
1 rack of pork (6 bones), about 3-3 ½ lb / 1.5-1.75 kg, frenched
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, mushrooms and red pepper until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly and transfer to large bowl.
- With your hands, squeeze as much moisture as possible from spinach. Add to bowl along with bread cubes and seasonings. Mix well.
- With long sharp knife, cut a 2-inch wide slit lengthwise through centre of roast. With wooden spoon handle, stretch meat to enlarge slit. Stand roast on end. With your fingers, open the hole and force stuffing into opening from one end, then from the other.
- Wrap ends of ribs in foil to prevent charring. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with small amount of oil and season with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, at 350°F for 20-25 minutes per pound or until instant-read thermometer registers 155°F. (Insert thermometer into thickest part of meat, not stuffing. Take several readings to ensure temperature is even throughout.)
- Transfer roast to a large serving platter. Tent loosely with foil and allow roast to rest 5-10 minutes before carving between the bones. Drizzle with pan juices if desired.