1 pork tenderloin, well-trimmed, about 12 oz / 0.375 kg
3 Tbsp / 45 mL EACH sodium-reduced soy sauce, hoisin sauce and honey
2 Tbsp / 30 mL packed dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
2 tsp / 10 mL stir-in garlic paste
1 tsp / 5 mL Chinese five spice powder
1 tsp / 5 mL red food coloring (optional)
Sesame seeds for garnish
Hot cooked rice and steamed vegetables for serving
- With palm of hand, flatten tenderloin slightly to about ½-inch thickness. Place into large resealable plastic bag.
- In 1-cup measuring cup, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Remove 3 Tbsp marinade. Set aside. Pour remaining marinade over tenderloin; turn to coat. Seal bag and marinate in refrigerator for 2-24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove tenderloin from marinade; discard marinade. Pat tenderloin with paper towels to remove excess marinade.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat on one side to medium-high and the other side to medium-low. Grill tenderloin over medium-high heat on lightly oiled grill grate for 5-6 minutes per side or until nicely grill marked.
- Slide tenderloin over to lower heat side. Grill an additional 8-10 minutes or until instant-read thermometer registers 155°F, turning occasionally and brushing often with reserved marinade.
- Remove tenderloin from grill onto a clean cutting board or plate. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 3 minutes before carving into ¼-inch thick slices. Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and steamed vegetables.