1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup / 50 mL fine dry breadcrumbs
1 tsp / 5 mL lime zest
1 Tbsp / 15 mL lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp / 1 mL EACH red pepper flakes, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper and salt
Head of leaf lettuce
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 lime, juiced
1 Tbsp / 15 mL unseasoned rice wine vinegar
¼ tsp / 1 mL paprika
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the patties:
- In large bowl, gently combine ground pork with remaining ingredients; do not overmix.
- Form mixture into 8 small patties.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Grill patties 5-6 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer registers 160°F.
- Place patty on one half of lettuce leaves (use 2-3 leaves), top with Mango-Avocado Salsa and fold rest of lettuce over patty. Repeat with remaining patties.
*For better burgers, use gentle hands to mix and form patties that are consistent in size so that they all cook at about the same rate. Make a thumbprint indent in the centre of each patty to help prevent ‘patty puffing’ while grilling.
For the salsa:
- In medium bowl, combine mango, bell pepper, green onion, lime juice, vinegar and paprika.
- Gently mix in avocado. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.