1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup / 50 mL fine dry breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp / 45 mL store-bought Piri Piri seasoning (or make your own – see below)
1 medium beet, peeled and shredded
8 cocktail or slider buns, sliced
Piri Piri Seasoning:
2 Tbsp / 30 mL paprika
2 tsp / 10 mL packed brown sugar
2 tsp / 10 mL ground cinnamon
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH cayenne pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
½ tsp / 2 mL ground cardamom
Measure all ingredients into a small jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake to combine. Store leftover seasoning in an airtight container in a dry place away from heat or light.
1 cup / 250 mL kale, washed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
8 oz / 227 g sore-bought coleslaw mix
1 cup / 250 mL light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp / 30 mL lemon juice
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH celery seed and smoked paprika
For the patties:
- In large bowl, gently combine ground pork with egg, breadcrumbs and seasoning; do not over mix.
- Form mixture into 8 small patties.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Grill patties 5-6 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer registers 160°F.
- Place patty on bottom half of bun. Top with coleslaw and shredded beet. Top with other half of bun.
*For better burgers, use gentle hands to mix and form patties that are consistent in size so that they all cook at about the same rate. Make a thumbprint indent in the centre of each patty to help prevent ‘patty puffing’ while grilling.
For the coleslaw:
- In large bowl, combine kale and coleslaw.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery seed and paprika.
- Add dressing to coleslaw mixture; toss to combine.