1 pork shoulder roast, boneless, about 2 ½ lb / 1.25 kg, cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
¼ cup / 50 mL all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp / 45 mL canola oil for browning
1 cup / 250 mL finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups / 500 mL sodium-reduced beef broth
1 cup / 250 mL red wine
2 Tbsp / 30 mL red wine vinegar
¼ cup / 50 mL tomato paste
2 Tbsp / 30 mL sweet Hungarian paprika
1 Tbsp / 15 mL caraway seeds
1 bay leaf
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup / 250 mL sour cream
Hot cooked egg noodles for serving
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In shallow bowl, dust pork cubes on all sides with flour.
- In Dutch oven, heat about 1 Tbsp of oil over medium heat.
- Brown pork cubes in batches, adding more oil as needed. Remove browned cubes to a clean plate.
- Add onions and garlic, cooking until onions are softened, 3 minutes.
- Deglaze pot with broth, scaping up browned bits from bottom.
- Add wine, vinegar, tomato paste, paprika, caraway seeds and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Carefully return cubes and any accumulated juices to pot; cover and simmer until pork is tender, 1-1 ½ hours.
- Remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Just before serving stir in sour cream, or serve separately.
- Serve goulash over hot cooked egg noodles. Garnish with parsley.