1 lb / 0.5 kg fresh pork sausage, Italian (mild or hot) or Andouille
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 strips thick cut bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 medium yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
1-19 oz / 540 mL can crushed tomatoes
1-19 oz / 540 mL can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup / 250 mL beer or sodium-reduced chicken stock
1 Tbsp / 15 mL chili powder, or more to taste
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH ground cumin and smoked paprika
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
½ cup / 125 mL sour cream
2 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- Remove sausage meat from casings.
- In large sauté pan, cook sausage meat over medium-high heat until lightly browned, breaking up larger pieces with spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 3-4 minutes more.
- Add bacon, plum tomatoes, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, beans, beer or stock, chili powder, cumin and paprika; stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low. Cover pan and let mixture simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Ladle chili into individual bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with green onion.