1 Tbsp / 15 mL packed brown sugar
2 tsp / 10 mL chili powder
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and dry mustard
½ tsp / 2 mL celery salt
1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 4-4 ½ lb / 2-2.25 kg
1-355 mL can root beer
1-355 mL bottle root beer-flavoured barbecue sauce, like Bon Vivant!
6 crusty buns, sliced
Prepared coleslaw for serving
- In small bowl, thoroughly combine brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, mustard and celery salt.
- Rub spice mixture over all sides of roast. Refrigerate 6-8 hours or overnight. Remove roast from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking to help bring meat to room temperature.
- Place roast into slow cooker. Add root beer. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours.
- Remove roast to cutting board and discard liquid. With 2 forks, pull meat into shreds, discarding any fat. Return pork to slow cooker.
- Add enough barbecue sauce to moisten the meat. Cover and cook on HIGH, about 15 minutes.
- Layer pork onto buns and serve with prepared coleslaw.