1 pork shoulder blade or shoulder butt roast, boneless, about 4 lb / 2 kg
Salt and ground black pepper
1 ½ cups / 375 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
½ cup / 125 mL canola oil
¼ cup / 50 mL EACH fresh lemon and lime juice
½ cup / 125 mL fresh orange juice
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp / 30 mL dried oregano leaves
2 tsp / 10 mL sugar
1 tsp / 5 mL ground cumin
1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Place roast on cutting board. With sharp knife, slice into 6 large cubes. If desired, trim excess fat.
- Season cubes with salt and pepper and place in large resealable plastic bag.
- In 4-cup measuring cup, combine broth, oil and citrus juices. Pour over cubes.
- Add garlic, green onions, oregano, sugar and cumin to bag. Seal bag. Massage to combine ingredients and coat cubes. Marinate in refrigerator 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove cubes from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking to help bring meat to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove cubes from marinade and place in deep casserole or braising pan. Scatter onion slices around cubes.
- Pour 1 cup marinade over cubes; discard remaining marinade. Cover and braise in oven for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until meat is tender and easily pulls apart.
- Remove cubes from oven onto a clean plate. Let rest 5-10 minutes or until cubes are cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, strain cooking liquid into a saucepan. If desired, include some of the onion.
- Keep cooking liquid warm over medium-low heat.
- With two forks, pull cubes into shreds; discard any unwanted fat.
- Transfer shredded meat back to cooking vessel. Ladle warm cooking liquid over meat. Place under broiler for 6-8 minutes, or just until the top of the meat starts to brown.
- Remove meat from oven. Garnish with cilantro.