2 Tbsp / 30 mL mayonnaise
2 Tbsp / 30 mL Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp / 30 mL water
1 cup / 250 mL panko breadcrumbs*
1 tsp / 5 mL lemon zest
1 tsp / 5 mL dried sage leaves
½ tsp / 2 mL ground black pepper
4 pork schnitzels or scaloppini**
Lemon wedges for garnish
- Set up 3 plates side by side. Combine mayonnaise and mustard on first plate. On second plate, whisk together egg and water. Combine breadcrumbs with lemon zest, sage and pepper on third plate.
- Coat schnitzels with mayonnaise mixture, dip into egg mixture, and then coat with breadcrumb mixture.
- Transfer schnitzels to a rack; allow crumbs to dry, about 15 minutes.
- In nonstick skillet, heat a small amount of oil over medium-high heat.
- Pan-fry schnitzels, 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown; do not overcook.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
* Panko breadcrumbs are a lighter, fluffy type of crumb. Regular fine breadcrumbs may be substituted.
** Trimmed pork loin centre chops, pounded to ¼-inch thick, may be substituted for schnitzels.