1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, well-trimmed, about 3 lb / 1.5 kg
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 cup / 250 mL barbecue sauce
2 Tbsp / 30 mL apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL EACH molasses and Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp / 10 mL chili powder
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH ground cumin and ground oregano
6-8 Kaiser rolls, sliced
Prepared coleslaw for serving
- Preheat oven to 325ﹾF.
- Place roast in large ovenproof casserole dish. Scatter onion slices on and around meat.
- In medium bowl, thoroughly combine remaining ingredients. Pour sauce over and around roast.
- Cover and transfer roast to preheated oven. Cook for about 3 ½ hours or until meat is fork tender and almost falling apart.
- Remove roast from casserole dish onto a clean cutting board. Let rest 5-10 minutes or until roast is cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, carefully pour cooking liquid into a measuring cup. Cool to room temperature; then refrigerate for 45-60 minutes. The fat will rise to the surface and solidify.
- In the meantime, using two forks, pull pork into shreds; discard any fat. Return pork to casserole dish.
- Remove sauce from refrigerator, remove hardened fat layer with spoon and pour degreased sauce over pork. Cover with foil, transfer to oven and heat through, about 45 minutes.
- To serve, layer pork onto Kaiser rolls and top with coleslaw.