1-375 g pkg bacon
¼ cup / 50 mL maple syrup
¼ cup / 50 mL coarsely chopped candied bacon
2 cups / 500 mL all-purpose flour
⅓ cup / 80 mL packed brown sugar
¼ cup / 50 mL ground pecans
½ cup / 125 mL unsalted butter
1 pinch salt
2 medium eggs, beaten
1-17 oz / 540 mL can pumpkin pie filling
⅓ cup / 80 mL plain Balkan-style yogurt
½ cup / 125 mL brown sugar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL all-purpose flour
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon and ground cloves
½ cup / 125 mL milk
2 large egg whites
¼ cup / 50 mL unsalted butter
1 cup / 250 mL packed light brown sugar
¾ cup / 175 mL heavy cream
1 tsp / 5 mL sea salt
¼ tsp / 1 mL vanilla extract
Whipping cream (optional)
For the bacon:
- Preheat oven to 400ﹾF
- Place bacon slices on foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully spoon off bacon fat.
- Brush bacon with half of the syrup. Return bacon to oven and bake until glazed, about 5 minutes.
- Turn bacon over. Brush other side and bake until glazed, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer bacon to a plate lined with wax paper; cool completely.
- Coarsely chop bacon. Set aside 4 Tbsp for crust.
- Cover and refrigerate remaining candied bacon.
For the crust:
- Lightly grease 6 mini tart pans with removable bottom.
- Finely chop reserved bacon. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, pecans, bacon and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal with small butter bumps.
- Stir in beaten egg to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions.
- Press dough firmly and evenly against bottom and sides of tart pans. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tarts on baking sheet and prick bottom with fork.
- Bake until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes.
For the filling:
- Using a hand mixer, combine pie filling, yogurt, brown sugar, flour and spices.
- Add milk and egg whites. Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Pour filling* up to top edge of prepared crusts.
- Bake 5 minutes at 400ﹾF. Reduce temperature to 350ﹾF and bake tarts until filling is set, 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer tarts to a wire rack and cool completely.
*Remaining ⅔-cup filling can be used to fill store-bought tart shells. Bake according to package directions.
For the caramel sauce:
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add brown sugar; stir to combine.
- Slowly bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat and slowly stir in the cream.
- Return saucepan to element, bring mixture to a boil and immediately decrease heat to a slow simmer. Simmer, swirling occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in the salt and vanilla. Set aside. Set aside and allow sauce to cool and slightly thicken.
- Remove tarts from pans.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipping cream, if desired.
- Spoon caramel sauce over each tart and garnish with remaining candied bacon.