1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 4 lb / 2 kg
2 Tbsp / 30 mL Kosher salt
1 tsp / 5 mL ground black pepper
1 Tbsp / 15 mL unsalted butter
½ cup / 125 mL finely chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-455 mL bottle chili sauce
⅓ cup / 80 mL lemon juice
¼ cup / 50 mL Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp / 15 mL apple cider vinegar
2 tsp / 10 mL Worcestershire sauce
½ cup / 125 mL packed brown sugar
¾ tsp / 4 mL chipotle chili powder
8-10 Rolls or buns, sliced
- Place roast on large plate or platter. Rub with salt and season with pepper. Cover and let roast stand at room temperature for 1 hour before grilling.
- Preheat one burner of two-burner barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium or lower; temperature should read 275-300ﹾF.
- Put roast in disposable foil pan and place over unlit burner. Close lid and cook roast over indirect heat (off heat side) until meat is fork tender and almost falling apart for 5-6 hours. Cover roast with foil if getting too dark.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Using two forks, pull meat into shreds; discard any fat. Transfer shredded pork to serving bowl; cover to keep warm.
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer, about 20 minutes.
- To serve, layer pork onto rolls or buns. Serve with sauce.
- Preheat barbecue and follow instructions for rotisserie grilling.
- Add water to foil drip pan. Secure roast on rotisserie rod and cook 5-6 hours over direct, low heat or the heat from the rotisserie burner.