1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
¼ cup / 50 mL thinly sliced green onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups / 500 mL finely shredded savoy cabbage
½ cup / 125 mL shredded carrot
½ cup / 125 mL chopped water chestnuts
2 Tbsp / 30 mL EACH light soy sauce and oyster sauce
1 Tbsp / 15 mL cornstarch
1 tsp / 5 mL sesame oil
Ground black pepper to taste
1 package large egg roll wrappers
1 egg, slightly beaten
Canola oil for brushing
Bottled plum sauce for dipping
- In non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add pork to skillet and thoroughly cook until no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces with a spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Add green onion, garlic, cabbage, carrot and water chestnuts; cook 3 minutes more.
- In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil; pour into skillet. Toss well. Season pork filling with pepper according to taste. Let cool slightly.
- Forming one roll at a time, place wrapper onto a clean work surface. Spoon ⅓-cup pork filling onto wrapper, about 2 inches from bottom corner. Roll tightly about half way up wrapper, making an elongated roll.
- Moisten remaining edges with beaten egg. Fold each side corner over filling and roll all the way up. Place seam side down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops lightly with oil.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake egg rolls until golden, about 10 minutes. Turn and bake 8-10 minutes more. Remove egg rolls from oven.
- Serve with plum sauce for dipping.