1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1-10oz / 284 mL can sodium-reduced beef broth
2 Tbsp / 30 mL tomato paste
2 Tbsp / 30 mL chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp / 5 mL chopped fresh thyme
2 cups / 500 mL mixed frozen vegetables
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
3 Tbsp / 45 mL butter
½ cup / 125 mL milk
Salt to taste
For the pork:
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ground pork. Thoroughly cook pork until no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces with a spatula, about 15 minutes. Drain cooking liquid if needed.
- Add broth, tomato paste, parsley, thyme and frozen vegetables. Mix well. Simmer until juices thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into lightly greased 1 ½ quart casserole.
- Spread Potato Topping on top.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 30-35 minutes or until potato topping starts to brown.
- Garnish with additional parsley.
For the potato topping:
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender. Drain well.
- Mash with butter, milk and salt.