1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 cup / 250 mL finely chopped yellow onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ¼ lb / 0.625 kg lean ground pork
1 large egg, slightly beaten
½ cup / 125 mL fine dry breadcrumbs
½ cup / 125 mL chopped fresh Italian parsley, plus more for garnish
1 tsp / 5 mL salt
½ tsp / 2 mL ground black pepper
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 ¼ cups / 325 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
1-28 oz / 796 mL can diced tomatoes
1-19 oz / 540 mL can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp / 30 mL tomato paste
2 tsp / 10 mL paprika
¼ tsp / 1 mL turmeric
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Hot cooked rice for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer half of the onion mixture to a large bowl. Set remaining onion mixture aside.
- Add ground pork, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper to bowl. Gently combine ingredients; do not overmix.
- Form meat mixture into 1 ½-inch balls; arrange on rimmed, parchment-lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Turn and bake 8-10 minutes more or until instant-read thermometer registers 160°F. Remove meatballs from oven; set aside.
- Meanwhile, add carrots, broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, tomato paste, paprika and turmeric to reserved onion mixture in sauté pan; stir to combine. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until stew is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Nestle meatballs into stew. Cover and simmer an additional 10-12 minutes or just until carrots are tender crisp.
- Season stew with salt and pepper according to taste. Garnish with additional chopped parsley.
- Serve stew over hot cooked rice, if desired.