1 tsp / 5 mL olive oil
1 lb / 500 g fresh Italian sausage or Spanish chorizo sausage
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp / 10 mL paprika
½ tsp / 2 mL turmeric
1 bay leaf
1-19 oz / 540 mL can diced tomatoes
2 ¼ cups / 300 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
1 cup / 250 mL Arborio rice
2-3 sweet bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup / 250 mL frozen peas
¼ cup / 50 mL chopped fresh parsley
- In deep sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Remove casings from sausage and break up into 1-inch chunks. Brown on all sides, stirring often for 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Discard all but 1 Tbsp fat from pan. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add paprika and turmeric; cook, stirring, for 20-30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, broth and rice; bring to a boil.
- Return sausage to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peppers. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes more or until rice is tender and almost no liquid remains.
- Remove pan from heat. Remove bay leaf. Stir in peas and parsley. Cover and let stand 3-5 minutes before serving.