1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1-19 oz / 540 mL can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-12 oz / 341 mL can whole kernel corn, undrained
1-19 oz / 540 mL can diced tomatoes, undrained
2-4.5 oz / 127 mL cans chopped green chilies, mild
1 ½ cups / 375 mL beef broth
1 cup / 250 mL water
1 tsp / 5 mL ground cumin
2 tsp / 10 mL chili powder
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add pork and thoroughly cook until no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces with a spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Once most of the cooking liquid has evaporated, add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, about 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro.