½ cup / 125 mL diced pancetta
1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
2 cups / 500 mL chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 cups / 750 mL store-bought marinara sauce
⅓ cup / 80 mL dry white wine or sodium-reduced chicken broth
¼ tsp / 1 mL EACH ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Hot cooked pasta for serving
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Chopped fresh basil for garnish
- In large sauté pan, fry pancetta over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp fat from pan. Increase heat to medium-high. Add ground pork, onion and garlic to pan. Thoroughly cook pork until no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces with a spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in carrot and celery; cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce, wine or broth, nutmeg, cinnamon and bay leaf. Return pancetta to pan; stir to combine. Cover and allow mixture to simmer over low heat, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, and season mixture with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve meat sauce over your favourite style of hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with chopped basil.