1 tsp / 5 mL canola oil
1 ¼ lb / 0.625 kg lean ground pork
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1-24 oz / 680 mL can thick pasta sauce
2 Tbsp / 30 mL honey
2 tsp / 10 mL red wine vinegar
1 tsp / 5 mL Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp + ½ tsp / 7 mL dried oregano leaves
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
4-6 crusty buns, sliced
- In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté ground pork until thoroughly cooked and no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces with spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, celery and garlic to pan. Cook 2-3 minutes more, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients, except bell pepper; stir to combine, while bringing mixture to a gentle boil.
- Add bell pepper. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve meat sauce over sliced crusty buns.
Tip: 3 Tbsp / 45 mL packed brown sugar may be substituted for the honey.