1 lb / 500 g lean ground pork
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup / 50 mL fine dry breadcrumbs
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp / 30 mL white wine vinegar
2 tsp / 10 mL Dijon mustard
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH salt and ground black pepper
¼ cup / 50 mL light mayonnaise
1 Tbsp / 15 mL chopped fresh basil
6 hamburger buns, sliced
Alfalfa sprouts for garnish (optional)
- In small bowl, gently combine ground pork with egg, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; do not overmix.
- Form mixture into 6 patties.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Grill patties 6-8 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer registers 160°F.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine mayonnaise and basil. Set aside.
- Serve patties in buns topped with a dollop of Basil Mayonnaise and your favourite veggies.
- Garnish with alfalfa sprouts, if desired.
*For better burgers, use gentle hands to mix and form patties that are consistent in size so that they all cook at about the same rate. Make a thumbprint indent in the centre of each patty to help prevent ‘patty puffing’ while grilling.