2 tsp / 10 mL canola oil
¾ cup / 175 mL thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
¼ cup / 50 mL thinly sliced green onions
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
1 tsp / 5 mL Dijon mustard
1 tsp / 5 mL Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp / 1 mL EACH salt and ground black pepper
4 hamburger buns, sliced
Topping suggestions: Lettuce or spinach leaves, onion, tomato, cooked bacon, Swiss cheese slices and your favourite condiments
- In small pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté mushrooms, green onions and garlic until tender, about 2 minutes; set aside.
- In large bowl, gently combine ground pork with mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; do not overmix.
- Form mixture into 8 thin patties, about 4 inches in diameter.
- Divide mushroom mixture among 4 patties; spread to within ½-inch of edge. Top with remaining patties and seal edges.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Grill patties 6-8 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer registers 160°F.
- Serve patties in buns along with your favourite toppings and condiments.
*For better burgers, use gentle hands to mix and form patties that are consistent in size so that they all cook at about the same rate. Make a thumbprint indent in the centre of each patty to help prevent ‘patty puffing’ while grilling.