1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
½ cup / 125 mL chopped fresh mushrooms
1 egg, slightly beaten
⅓ cup / 80 mL canned water chestnuts, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp / 15 mL grated ginger root
2 green onions, thinly sliced
½ tsp / 2 mL ground black pepper
1 Tbsp / 15 mL cornstarch
2 Tbsp / 30 mL chicken broth
6 hamburger buns, sliced
Topping suggestions: grilled pineapple, bell pepper and or onion slices and plum sauce
- In large bowl, gently combine ground pork with mushrooms, egg, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, green onion and pepper; do not overmix.
- In small bowl, whisk cornstarch with chicken broth. Add to pork mixture and gently combine.
- Form mixture into 6 patties.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Grill patties 6-8 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer registers 160°F.
- Serve patties in buns with your favourite toppings and condiments.
*For better burgers, use gentle hands to mix and form patties that are consistent in size so that they all cook at about the same rate. Make a thumbprint indent in the centre of each patty to help prevent ‘patty puffing’ while grilling.