1 lb / 0.5 kg lean ground pork
¼ cup / 50 mL Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup / 50 mL milk
2 Tbsp / 30 mL basil pesto
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH salt and ground black pepper, divided
2 oz / 60 g mozzarella cheese cut into ½-inch / 1.25 cm cubes
2 cups / 500 mL cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp / 15 mL olive oil
2 cups / 500 mL prepared marinara sauce, warmed
Hot cooked pasta for serving
¼ cup / 50 mL torn fresh basil leaves
- In large bowl, gently combine ground pork with bread crumbs, milk, pesto and half of the salt and pepper; do not overmix.
- Form mixture into 1 ½-inch meatballs.
- Use your finger, stuff one cube of cheese into center of each meatball. Seal meat around cheese.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium.
- Grill meatballs over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, turning often until nicely browned on all sides and melted cheese is just starting to dribble out.
- Meanwhile, toss cherry tomatoes with oil and remaining salt and pepper; thread onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers.
- Grill tomatoes over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, turning often until blistered and slightly charred; remove skewers.
- Serve meatballs over your favourite style of hot cooked pasta and warmed marinara sauce.
- Garnish with torn basil leaves.
Tip: Meatballs may also be served as an appetizer. Assemble by threading one meatball, one basil leaf, and one charred tomato onto a toothpick.