1- 12 oz / 375 g pkg thick cut bacon, coarsely chopped
½ cup / 125 mL finely chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup / 125 mL freshly brewed coffee
½ cup / 125 mL maple syrup
⅓ cup / 80 mL apple cider vinegar
¼ cup / 50 mL packed light brown sugar
⅛ tsp / 0.5 mL ground ginger
Dash of cayenne pepper
¼ cup / 50 mL whisky or apple juice
1 tsp / 5 mL lemon or orange zest
- In large skillet, fry bacon over medium-high heat, turning often until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned.
- With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp fat from skillet.
- Add onion; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in coffee, maple syrup, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger and cayenne pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Return bacon to skillet. Add whiskey or apple juice; stir to combine. Reduce heat and let mixture simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid has thickened, 30-45 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to small food processor. Add lemon or orange zest. Pulse mixtures about 5 times; do not over-blend.
- Transfer marmalade to a sterilized glass jar with screw top lid. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.