4 lb / 2 kg pork side ribs
3 cans or bottles beer
3 Tbsp / 45 mL coarse salt
3 Tbsp / 45 mL packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL celery seed
1 tsp / 5 mL cayenne pepper
½ tsp / 2 mL ground black pepper
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
¼ cup / 50 mL chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ cup / 175 mL chili sauce
¼ cup / 50 mL honey
2 Tbsp / 30 mL Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp / 15 mL prepared yellow mustard
For the ribs:
- Lift and peel the membrane from the back of each rack of ribs. Cut ribs into serving-size portions of 3-4 bones each. Set aside.
- Reserve ½-cup beer for Honey-Beer Baste. In large bowl, combine remaining brine ingredients. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Place ribs in extra-large resealable bag. Pour brine over ribs; seal bag. Refrigerate 6-8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove ribs from brine; discard brine. Pat ribs dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to low. Grill ribs for about 1½ hours, turning every 15 minutes.
- When ribs are nearly done, begin basting with sauce, turning often until ribs are glazed.
For the baste:
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and reserved ½-cup beer.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.