2 racks pork back ribs
1 cup / 250 mL orange juice
½ cup / 125 mL light soy sauce
2 Tbsp / 30 mL unseasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp / 10 mL red pepper flakes
¼ tsp / 1 mL ground ginger
¼ cup / 50 mL packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp / 30 mL cornstarch
2 Tbsp / 30 mL cold water
2 Tbsp / 30 mL sesame seeds, toasted
2 green onions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Lift and peel membrane from the back of each rack of ribs. Slice ribs into single rib portions.
- Set oven to broil. On foil-lined baking sheet, broil ribs until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes per side. Transfer ribs to slow cooker.
- In large measuring cup, combine orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and ginger. Stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Pour mixture over ribs.
- Cover and cook on LOW, 4-5 hours or until meat easily pulls away from bone without falling off. Stir half way during cooking time to ensure exposed ribs are as tender as those immersed in sauce.
- Remove ribs from slow cooker. Keep warm.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 Tbsp cold water until smooth; add to slow cooker, stirring continuously.
- Turn heat to HIGH. Cook, uncovered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Return ribs to slow cooker. Toss to coat with sauce. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onion.
Tip: For a complete meal, add 1 ½ cups / 375 mL shredded carrot to sauce prior to thickening with cornstarch mixture. Serve ribs over white rice with sauce.