⅓ cup / 80 mL all-purpose flour
1 tsp / 5 mL salt
¼ tsp / 1 mL ground black pepper
2 lb / 1 kg pork stewing cubes, well-trimmed
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup / 125 mL beef broth
1-12 oz / 355 mL can stout beer
2 Tbsp / 30 mL red wine vinegar
8 baby potatoes, quartered
4 carrots, diced
1 cup / 250 mL thinly sliced leeks
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH caraway seed and dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In large bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Dredge pork cubes in seasoned flour; shake off excess.
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown cubes on all sides turning occasionally.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; scraping brown bits from bottom of Dutch oven while stirring.
- Bring contents to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 to 1 ¼ hours or until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle stew into bowls; garnish with chopped parsley.
- Season with additional salt and pepper according to taste.