1 pork loin, centre roast, boneless, about 3 lb / 1.5 kg
2 tsp / 10 mL canola oil
1 tsp + ½ tsp / 7 mL packed brown sugar
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH chili powder, ground cumin and ground allspice
½ tsp / 2 mL red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
2 tsp / 10 mL lime juice
1-19 oz / 540 mL can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup / 250 mL diced fresh pineapple
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ English cucumber, diced
¼ cup / 50 mL finely chopped red onion
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the roast:
- Trim roast of any unwanted fat.
- In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients to form a paste. Spread evenly over all sides of roast.
- Place roast in a disposable foil pan. Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Turn off one side of barbecue. With barbecue cover closed, cook roast over indirect heat (“off” heat side) for 1-1 ½ hours or until instant-read thermometer registers 155˚F.
- Remove roast from barbecue. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes before carving into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Serve with a scoop of Caribbean Salsa and a side of whole grains like cooked brown rice or barley pilaf.
For the salsa:
- In large glass bowl, combine oil, lime juice, chick peas, pineapple, bell pepper, cucumber and onion.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Refrigerate one hour or until ready to serve. Salsa can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.