1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 pork loin, centre roast, boneless, about 3 lb / 1.5 kg
Salt and ground black pepper
½ cup / 125 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
2 Tbsp / 30 mL chopped fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced
2 ½ cups / 625 mL port
1 ¼ cups / 300 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
8 dried figs, coarsely chopped
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 star anise
1 Tbsp / 15 mL liquid honey
3 Tbsp / 45 mL unsalted butter
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the roast:
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Season roast with salt and pepper. Brown roast on all sides; transfer to slow cooker.
- Add broth and sprinkle roast with rosemary and garlic. Cover and cook on LOW, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker onto a cutting board. Carve roast into ¼-inch slices. Serve with sauce.
For the sauce:
- In medium saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients, except butter, salt and pepper.
- Boil over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Discard rosemary sprigs and star anise. Transfer mixture to a blender; puree until smooth.
- Blend in the butter. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Sauce can be prepared in advance. Reheat prior to serving.