1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 2 lb / 1 kg, cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tsp / 5 mL EACH ground cumin and salt
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH curry powder, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, ground ginger and ground cinnamon
1 cup / 250 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
2 Tbsp / 30 mL tomato paste
½ cup / 125 mL chunky peanut butter
1-14 oz / 398 mL can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp / 15 mL lemon juice
¼ cup / 50 mL chopped blanched peanuts
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In slow cooker, combine pork cubes, onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add seasonings and spices. Stir to combine.
- Stir in chicken broth and tomato paste; mix well.
- Cover and cook on LOW until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in peanut butter and black-eyed peas. Cover and cook on HIGH, about 15 minutes more.
- Blend in lemon juice to refresh flavours.
- Ladle stew into individual bowls.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts and chopped cilantro.