1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 2 lb / 1 kg, cut into 1½-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp / 10 mL salt
¼ cup / 50 mL tomato paste
2 Tbsp / 30 mL paprika
½ tsp / 2 mL ground black pepper
1-14 oz / 398 mL can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1 tsp / 5 mL caraway seed
½ cup / 125 mL light sour cream
Hot cooked egg noodles for serving
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place pork cubes and onions in casserole pot or small enamel roaster.
- In small bowl, crush garlic and salt with the back of a spoon to form a paste.
- Add tomato paste, paprika and pepper to bowl; stir to combine.
- Spread paste over pork cubes; stir to coat well. Cover and roast for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove casserole or roaster from oven. Uncover. Stir in sauerkraut and caraway seed. Cover and return to oven for 45-60 minutes, or until pork is fork tender.
- Remove goulash from oven. Whisk in sour cream.
- Serve goulash over hot cooked egg noodles.