1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 2 ½ lb / 1-1.25 kg
2 cups / 500 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth
1-28 oz / 796 mL can diced tomatoes, drained
1-14 oz / 398 mL can EACH black beans and red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup / 250 mL chopped yellow onion
3 Tbsp / 45 mL tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 packet chili seasoning mix, hot or mild, like Club House brand
1 cup / 250 mL sour cream
1 cup / 250 mL shredded Tex-Mex cheese
¼ cup / 50 mL thinly sliced green onion
Garlic bread or tortilla chips for serving
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add roast; brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients, except sour cream, cheese and green onion.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker onto a clean plate. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker. Mix well.
- Turn heat to HIGH and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes more; stir once or twice.
- Spoon chili into bowls; top with sour cream, cheese and green onion.
- Serve with garlic bread or tortilla chips.