2 ripe mangos
1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 4 lb / 2 kg
1 Tbsp / 15 mL coarsely ground black pepper
½ tsp / 2 mL salt
2 tsp / 10 mL ancho chili pepper, divided
¼ cup / 50 mL balsamic vinegar
2 cups / 500 mL water
2 tsp / 10 mL honey
¼ cup / 50 mL whisky (optional)
2 cups / 500 mL barbecue sauce
6 crusty buns, sliced
- Peel mangos and remove pits. Place pits into slow cooker. Dice mangos and set aside.
- Place pork into slow cooker and sprinkle with black pepper, salt and 1 tsp of the ancho chili pepper.
- Add vinegar and water. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until pork is very tender.
- Remove roast to cutting board; drain liquid and discard mango pits. With 2 forks, pull meat into shreds, discarding any fat. Return pork to slow cooker.
- In small saucepan, combine honey, remaining ancho chili pepper and whisky. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add diced mango. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes, occasionally mashing mango with a fork.
- Add barbecue sauce to saucepan; stir to combine with mango mixture.
- Pour sauce over shredded pork in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1 hour or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Layer pork onto buns and serve.