3 lb / 1.5 kg pork rib roast, boneless, well-trimmed
¼ tsp / 1 mL salt
½ tsp / 2 mL coarsely ground black pepper
1 Tbsp / 15 mL canola oil
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch / 2 cm thick pieces
1 packet pearl onions, peeled
1 ½ cups / 375 mL sodium-reduced chicken stock
½ cup / 125 mL port or sweet red wine
1 Tbsp / 15 mL Dijon mustard
1 cup / 250 mL prunes
1 Tbsp / 15 mL EACH chopped fresh sage and chopped fresh thyme
⅓ cup / 80 mL all-purpose flour
- Season roast with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown pork on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in a slow cooker, combine sweet potatoes with pearl onions. Transfer pork to slow cooker.
- Drain fat from skillet. Add stock, port and mustard; bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Pour over roast.
- Add prunes, sage and thyme to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, until meat is tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter. Tent loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Whisk flour with equal part water. Add to slow cooker. Stir until well-blended. Cover and cook on HIGH until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Slice meat; serve with sauce and vegetables.