Manitoba Pork Council
What is personal information?
Privacy laws apply to "personal information." Personal information is any information that can be used to identify, distinguish or contact a specific individual (for example, registered producers who are sole proprietors, individuals carrying on business as a partnership, or other individuals). Privacy laws do not apply to information about registered producers who are incorporated, including Hutterite Colonies.
Why does Manitoba Pork collect personal information?
In carrying out our activities as a regulator under The Farm Products Marketing Act Manitoba (the Act), Manitoba Pork may collect personal information from individual producers, the directors, officers and employees of corporate producers, and other individuals with whom we interact, for the following purposes:
- To effectively regulate and otherwise achieve the purposes and meet our obligations set out in the Manitoba Hog Producers Marketing Plan Regulation established pursuant to the Act (the Plan);
- To participate in cooperative programs operated in conjunction with other provincial or federal regulatory or supervisory authorities;
- To administer the democratic control system established under our Administration By-Law, including the holding of meetings and the conduct of elections;
- To administer programs established pursuant to Orders and Regulations made under the Act;
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements in administering the Plan;
- To assist provincial and/or federal authorities in the event of an emergency such as an animal disease outbreak;
- To identify, establish and maintain relationships with and communicate with individuals;
- To protect individuals and other organizations and us against error and fraud;
- To better understand how Manitoba Pork may improve its services, to develop and conduct its business and operations, and for other internal business purposes;
- To provide individuals with information on current and future information or developments with respect to Manitoba Pork; and
- To comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements or to protect Manitoba Pork’s legal rights and property;
(collectively, the Authorized Purposes).
Manitoba Pork may collect personal information for other purposes where it has a legal duty or right to do so. Manitoba Pork does not collect personal information for any other purposes, unless it has the consent of the individual to whom it relates.
How does Manitoba Pork collect personal information?
We collect information only by lawful and fair means, and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Wherever possible, we try to collect your personal information directly from you with your knowledge and consent (for example, via our website, e-mail, telephone, fax, or in person). Occasionally, we may collect personal information from third party sources with the knowledge and consent of the individual or where otherwise authorized by law.
The type of information that Manitoba Pork may collect from individuals includes, for example, name, email address, address, phone number, legal description of a producer’s land, description of that producer’s buildings and equipment, producer number, district, on-farm food safety, animal care and facility inspection reports, production and marketing activities, and other information individuals choose to provide. Depending upon the circumstances, we may need to collect additional personal information.
Personal and other information collected from the Site
With respect to the Site, we may collect personal information from users of the Site in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when individuals visit our site, fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on the Site. For example, users may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address, mailing address, or phone number. Users may, however, choose to visit our Site anonymously. We will collect personal information from users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personal information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site-related activities.
Manitoba Pork uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to establish an encrypted link to ensure that all data passed between the web server and users' browsers remain private and integral. The Site has an SSL Certificate which will be renewed annually. Notwithstanding the foregoing, sharing personal information with us through the Site may not be secure – please use discretion and do not share sensitive personal information in this manner.
Anonymous technical information
We may collect anonymous technical information about users whenever they interact with our Site. This may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about users' means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information. We use this anonymous technical information for purposes such as diagnosing problems with our servers, improving the operation and content of our website and compiling aggregate and statistical information.
We will not attempt to link or match such anonymous technical information with any personal information unless we have an individual’s consent, we (or our service providers) have detected or reasonably suspect any unlawful use of our services or a security breach, or we have a legal duty or right to do so.
Web browser cookies
Other service providers
The Site uses web analytics service providers (please see below) which collect and process information in relation to your use of the Site. There is more information about how these services providers collect, use, and process data and how you may deactivate their services on their websites:
When does Manitoba Pork use or disclose personal information?
Manitoba Pork only uses or discloses personal information as reasonably required to facilitate the Authorized Purposes listed above.
There are a variety of circumstances where we may need to disclose some personal information about individuals such as producers and other stakeholders. For example, we may disclose the personal information of individuals to:
- a third party where such disclosure is required in order for us to meet our legal or regulatory obligations pursuant to the Act or in relation to administering the Plan;
- The Manitoba Farm Products Marketing Council (the "Farm Products Marketing Council") as part of the exercise of its supervisory function;
- a third party where such disclosure is required in order for us to deal with any appeal issued by a person to the Farm Products Marketing Council;
- a third party where such disclosure is required in order for us to administer programs established pursuant to any Order or Regulation made under the Act, including disclosure to an Inspector under the Act and to Manitoba Justice as part of the enforcement of any such Order or Regulation;
- a third party where such disclosure is required in order for us to effectively administer the democratic control system established under our Administration By-law including, in relation to the holding of meetings and the conduct of elections;
- a third party where such disclosure is required in order for us to participate in cooperative programs operated in conjunction with other provincial or federal regulatory or supervisory authorities;
- a third party which is a not-for-profit organization and whose mandate includes advancing the interests of persons who are producers and/or the industry that the producers are part of;
- a third party where such disclosure is required in order to assure a continuous supply of the regulated product for the market or to monitor the transportation of any regulated product;
- a third party where such disclosure is required in order to deal with any application initiated by a producer;
- a third party where such disclosure is required as a result of any positive or negative inspection report in relation to a producer’s facilities or in connection with any quality assurance, disease, health or animal welfare concerns impacting on the industry;
- a third party who requires such information in order to assist us in our general administration and/or business operations (which includes record keeping and fee and penalty collection);
- a third party who requires such information in order to assist us in providing services to any producer or other stakeholder;
- a third party who requires such information and who is affiliated with or otherwise related to us;
- a public authority or agent of a public authority if, in our reasonable judgment, it appears that there is imminent danger to life or property and/or imminent threat to the life, health or security of an individual, the general public and/or livestock, as a result of an animal disease outbreak or otherwise which could be avoided or minimized by the disclosure of the information;
- third party service providers performing functions on Manitoba Pork’s behalf, including, for example, vendors that provide information technology services or provide analytics or assessment services;
- a third party where an individual has consented to such disclosure; or
- a third party where such disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Any disclosure of your personal information will, where appropriate and reasonably possible under the circumstances, be made on a confidential basis.
We use contractual or other means to protect the disclosed information and to make sure that the information is used only for the purpose(s) for which it was disclosed.
We will not disclose your personal information to any third party for the purpose of enabling them to market their products and/or services to you without first seeking your expressed consent to do so.
We do not sell, trade, or rent personal information to others.
Consent: Is there a choice?
Individuals provide their consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information by Manitoba Pork when they provide their information to Manitoba Pork or use its services.
Individuals can deny or withdraw their consent to Manitoba Pork’s collection, use and disclosure of their personal information at any time upon reasonable notice, subject to any legal or contractual requirements. However, if consent is denied or withdrawn, Manitoba Pork may not be able to provide certain services. For example, such withdrawal may limit your access to Industry information and our ability to ensure that you receive your full benefits and entitlements under the Plan, Order, Regulations, or programs operated by us.
We are required under the Plan to keep and maintain at our office a register containing the name and address of each registered producer and the location of the facility or facilities used by each registered producer. Our Orders and Regulations also require us to keep informed about and to monitor production and marketing activities involving the regulated product. Our activities, in turn, are supervised by the Farm Products Marketing Council and we are required to submit certain information to the Farm Products Marketing Council. If our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information is necessary to administer the Plan, any attempt by you to withdraw consent to our continued collection, use and disclosure of your personal information may result in the suspension or cancellation of your registration.
Notwithstanding the above, any individual registered producer may ask to have his/her name removed from the List of Registered Producers which we prepare from time to time.
How we protect your information
We adopt reasonable policies to protect personal information with security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information including, for example, appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of personal information or any username, password, transaction information and data in relation to the Site.
The protection of personal information is of paramount concern to Manitoba Pork, and Manitoba Pork is prepared to take appropriate and timely steps in the event of any incidents involving personal information in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
Manitoba Pork makes every reasonable effort to ensure that personal information is accurate and complete. This may involve requesting further information or updates from individuals. Manitoba Pork relies on individuals to notify Manitoba Pork if there is a change to their personal information that may affect their relationship with Manitoba Pork. Your assistance in keeping your personal information up to date is greatly appreciated.
Manitoba Pork retains personal information only as long as is reasonable to fulfill the purposes for which the information was collected, or for legal or business purposes.
Does Manitoba Pork provide access to personal information?
Manitoba Pork will provide individuals with access to the personal information Manitoba Pork holds about them in accordance with applicable laws. Manitoba Pork reserves the right to require that any request for access to personal information be made in writing. Generally, there is no cost for such access. However, Manitoba Pork reserves the right to charge such costs on a case by case basis in accordance with applicable laws. The individual will be notified in advance if charges apply.
Manitoba Pork will correct or amend the personal information in its files where it can be shown that the information is incorrect or incomplete.
Storage and processing
Manitoba Pork will store the personal information on its internal servers and/or with its services providers. Manitoba Pork’s service providers store and/or process personal information within Canada. When information is stored or processed outside of Canada, it may be subject to the laws of and be accessible by legal authorities in such other jurisdictions. Manitoba Pork has taken appropriate technical, organizational, and legal steps to secure this information.
Your rights relating to your personal data
Subject to some exceptions, the GDPR provides you with the following rights:
- Right of access: You have the right to information about whether and why we process your personal data and related information (for example, what personal data we are processing).
- Right of rectification: You have the right to correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal data that we hold about you.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to ask us to delete personal data that we hold about you.
- Right to restrict or object to processing: You have the right to ask us to limit or stop our processing of your personal data in certain cases (for example, if the personal data we are processing about you is inaccurate or is for direct marketing purposes).
- Right to data portability: You have the right to ask us for a copy of personal data we hold about you and to transfer such data to another entity.
- Right to complain: We encourage you to contact us at the contact information below if you have any questions or concerns with our personal data practices. However, you also have the right to complain to regulatory authorities in your jurisdiction. Please contact us at the contact information below if you need information about the appropriate authority.
- You may exercise these rights or find out more about these rights by contacting Manitoba Pork at the contact information listed below.
Retention and storage of personal data
Manitoba Pork is based in Canada and processes personal data in Canada. The European Commission recognizes Canada as providing an adequate level of protection for personal data. Manitoba Pork's service providers may process your personal information outside of Canada (such as in the United States of America). When your information is processed outside of the European Union, it may be subject to the laws of and be accessible by legal authorities in such other jurisdictions. Manitoba Pork has taken appropriate technical, organizational, and legal steps to secure this information.
Third party websites
Users may find content on our Site that links to third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on third party sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website's own terms and policies.
Your acceptance of these terms
Contact Manitoba Pork
was last updated on, and is effective as of, February 5, 2024.