1 tsp / 5 mL canola oil
1 lb / 0.5 kg farmer sausage, sliced into ¾-inch / 1.875 cm pieces
½ cup / 125 mL tomato ketchup
⅓ cup / 80 mL EACH white vinegar and pineapple juice
1 tsp + ½ tsp / 7 mL sodium-reduced soy sauce
1 cup / 250 mL lightly packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL cornstarch
2 Tbsp / 30 mL cold water
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into chunks
1 fresh pineapple, skinned and cut into chunks with brown spots and core removed
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add farmer sausage slices.
- Cook sausage until nicely browned and well done, 12-15 minutes. Turn often.
- Add ketchup, vinegar, pineapple juice, soy sauce and brown sugar to skillet. Stir and bring to a boil.
- In separate bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water; mix well and stir into hot mixture. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce is thick and transparent.
- Assemble farmer sausage pieces, sliced red pepper and pineapple chunks on skewers. Serve with remaining sauce.