2 Tbsp / 30 mL canola oil, divided
1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 3 lb / 1.5 kg, cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
1 Tbsp / 15 mL butter
3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 cups / 500 mL sliced mushrooms
½ cup / 125 mL water or white wine
2 cups / 500 mL canned diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp / 30 mL paprika
1 tsp / 5 mL salt
½-¾ tsp / 2-4 mL ground black pepper
½ tsp / 2 mL caraway seeds
Hot cooked egg noodles for serving
Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325ﹾF.
- In ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add pork cubes, browning in batches. Brown on all sides, adding more oil as required. Remove browned cubes to a clean plate.
- In same pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown onions and mushrooms, stirring occasionally.
- Add water or wine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pot.
- Add tomatoes, paprika, salt, pepper and caraway seeds to pot. Stir to combine.
- Return cubes to pot. Stir to combine. Cover and place pot in centre of oven. Cook until pork is tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- Serve goulash over hot cooked egg noodles. If desired, top with a dollop of sour cream.