1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 2 ½ lb / 1.25 kg, cut into 3/4-inch / 1.875 cm cubes
2 Tbsp / 30 mL soy sauce
2 Tbsp / 30 mL canola oil, divided
1 ½ cups / 375 mL chopped yellow onion
2 Tbsp / 30 mL unseasoned rice vinegar
3 Tbsp / 45 mL finely chopped fresh lemongrass or 3 Tbsp / 45 mL lemongrass paste
1 Tbsp / 15 mL grated ginger root
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp / 5-10 mL red pepper flakes
½ tsp / 2 mL ground turmeric
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch / 2.5 cm cubes
3 cups / 750 mL water
1-10 oz / 284 mL can chicken broth
1 Tbsp / 15 mL honey
4-5 baby bok choy bulbs, stems and leaves, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup / 50 mL chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
1 small hot chili pepper, minced (optional)
Hot cooked basmati or Jasmine rice (optional)
- In large bowl, combine pork cubes with soy sauce. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Brown cubes in batches, adding more oil as required. Remove cubes to a clean plate.
- In same pot, sauté onion until lightly browned and softened, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pot with rice vinegar, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot.
- Add lemongrass, ginger and garlic; stir to combine.
- Add red pepper flakes and turmeric; stir to combine.
- Add sweet potato, water, broth and honey. Return cubes to pot and stir to combine.
- Cover pot and bring contents to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sweet potato is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add bok choy and cilantro. Stir gently. Cover and simmer 3-5 minutes more.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Squeeze in a wedge of lime to brighten flavours. Garnish with minced hot peppers if desired. Soup can be served as is or over a scoop of hot cooked rice.