6-8 pork loin centre chops, boneless
Salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
1 cup / 250 mL all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten with 2 Tbsp water
4 cups / 1L panko breadcrumbs
Canola oil for frying
1 lemon, sliced into wedges
Shredded napa cabbage for serving
½ cup / 125 mL ketchup
4 tsp / 20 mL unseasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp / 15 mL EACH sodium-reduced soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp / 15 mL dry mustard
½ tsp / 2 mL garlic powder
¼ tsp / 1 mL EACH ground allspice and ground ginger
For the pork:
- With sharp knife, cut 2-3 slits through outer layer of fat-rimmed side of chops, about 2 inches apart.
- Place chops, two at a time, between two sheets of saran wrap or waxed paper. Using a meat mallet, rolling pin or heavy pan, pound each chop to ¼-inch thickness. Repeat with remaining chops.
- Lightly season both sides of chops with salt and pepper.
- Set up 3 plates side by side. Place flour on first plate. Pour egg mixture onto second plate. Place panko crumbs on third plate. Lightly coat each chop with flour, dip into egg mixture and press into crumbs to coat both sides. Transfer chops to a rack. Allow breading to dry, about 15 minutes.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat about half-an-inch of oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot enough, carefully lay 2-3 chops into the oil. Fry chops on one side until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Gently flip and fry 1-2 minutes more. Transfer chops to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Repeat with remaining chops.
- Slice each chop into 1-inch strips and arrange on platter lined with cabbage. Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serve pork strips with sauce on the side for dipping.
For the sauce:
- In small glass bowl, combine ingredients and whisk until well-blended. Cover and set aside for up to one hour or refrigerate until ready to use. Serve sauce at room temperature.