1 pork rib roast, boneless, about 2 ½ lbs / 1.25 kg
2 tsp / 10 mL dried oregano leaves
2 tsp / 10 mL ground cumin
1 tsp / 5 mL salt
½ tsp / 2 mL EACH ground cinnamon and ground coriander
2 Tbsp / 30 mL canola oil
1 cup / 250 mL orange juice
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 chipotle pepper in adobo + 1 tsp / 5 mL adobo sauce*
12 soft flour or corn tortillas
Garnish suggestions: shredded lettuce, thinly sliced radishes, diced avocado, chopped Roma tomatoes, pickled red onions, mild crumbled feta, chopped fresh cilantro
- Pat roast with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In small bowl, combine oregano, cumin, salt, cinnamon and coriander.
- Rub seasoning mixture over all sides of roast. Place roast in large resealable plastic bag and refrigerate 8-24 hours. Remove roast from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking to help bring meat to room temperature.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker. Add orange juice, garlic, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until roast falls apart easily when raked with a fork.
- Remove roast to a cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, carefully pour cooking liquid into a measuring cup. Discard all but ½-cup cooking liquid. Set aside.
- With two forks, pull meat into shreds, discarding any fat. Return pork to slow cooker.
- Add reserved cooking liquid to moisten meat. Keep warm in slow cooker and assemble tacos with garnishes.
*Leftover chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can be frozen for future use by spooning one or two peppers and a bit of sauce into piles on a small, rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet with the peppers in the freezer for about 1 hour. Lift the frozen piles of peppers from the baking sheet and place them into a resealable freezer bag for up to 6 months. Thaw peppers as needed for about 20 minutes prior to using as directed.